Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Get out of my 'greater mortal' face!

You know, I'm all for Perm Sec Tan YS going to the famed Le Cordon Bleu culinary school for holidays with his family. It's his money, all 46k of them (albeit getting from tax-payers). He's entitled to spend it how he likes.

I believe the online grouse is that in times like this, the least these high-earners could do is SHUT UP. I remember a story about a bird who likes to sing but fell into some sh*t and then got eaten because it could not keep its voice down.

Exactly. Be SENSITIVE. And smart enough to know when to keep your gap shut.

So here we have Minister Teo CH rapping Perm Sec Tan for his insensitive article in Straits Times on 'damage control' mode, MP Charles Chong then decidedly and purposely(?) stepped into another landmine with his wise-crack remarks.

Of course it blew up right into his elite, uncaring face. And kinda wiped out whatever was said by Minister Teo.

Pray tell me, folks, how is this sentence:

"Get out of my elite uncaring face" - Wee Shu Min's infamous quote different from:

"Maybe it made lesser mortals envious and they thought maybe he was a bit boastful. Would people have taken offence if his wife (a senior investment counsellor at a bank) had paid for everything?”- MP Charles Chong now infamous quote

Gee, our 'elite' PAP ministers seem to have an affinity for stepping onto landmines. Perhaps Vietnam might have greater use for them to clear out their minefields coz these elites can never quite get 'blown into pieces'.

Somehow they will miraculously dodge the sharpnels and come out unscathed. Then they step on another landmine and survive it. They might want to transfer this knowledge to our SAF soldiers.

Perhaps they should learn some wise words from the newly appointed US President. At least he feels 'humbled' to be in this position.

Some people think it's their God-given right to be in these ministerial positions.

I'm sorry that it had happened. Let's move on.

*grins*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL nice title!

Chee Wai Lee said...

Like Kaffein, I also take the view that there is nothing wrong with Mr. Tan taking a nice long expensive holiday on his or his wife's own money experiencing high culture. I do not even have a problem with him talking about it in public!

It was his choice of words in the article that bugged me. Not a shred of humility in my opinion. It was not a "how we enjoyed ourselves in Paris" article ... it was more like a "I do not understand why people think this is a big deal" piece.

Now, Charles Chong comes along and tries to defend him using equally unfortunate language (in my opinion, a freudian slip). I have only recently re-discovered the Wee Shu Min case and it seemed like a repeat-episode of out-of-touch high officials trying to defend themselves.

Maybe I should stop reading news articles from the mainstream media ... makes my blood boil sometimes. Still, I see some hopeful signs in some members of the PAP ... I still feel good about George Yeo, Inderjit Singh, Lily Neo and Lam Pin Min (somewhat). I am currently neutral about Teo Chee Hean and Baey Yam Keng. The rest seem to be either loafers, incompetent, clueless or out-of-touch.