Thursday, July 17, 2008

Where are your accusers?

She was a pawn in their religious fervour, an object of scorn. They had already known of her affair with a married man. If not, how else would they find them?

They hauled her through the public marketplaces. The men whispered in hushed condemning tones while the women folk held tightly to their men. He had promised to leave his wife after each love-making. But each time it ended with “Await my good news”. Good news indeed, she grimaced bitterly. Where is he now?

The church leaders scoffed at her when she questioned about the other guilty party. She had no right to speak, they told her. She was guilty as dead. Through the streets they dragged her in search of the Rabbi whom everyone called Jesus.

She had heard rumours of this Rabbi. He was the Holy One of God. Nothing escaped him without Him knowing. His prophetic eyes will search out every sin in her life and expose all of them in public. He will humilate her. Afterall, He had already called the scholars and theologians ‘Brood of Vipers!’

How much more will he condemn her adulterous affair! Surely he would leave the worst of his choice words on her. Then he would call down fire from heaven to consume her.

Let this be a lesson to all. The Law must be upheld and regarded in the highest as he proclaimed over her charred body.

Now she stood trembling in fear before Jesus. Surrounded by her pastors,the church elders and leaders, they scrutinised her every movement. Their eyes pierced her soul, searching every fault hidden in dark corners. Their judging lips brayed “Condemnation! Blood payment according to the Book!”

Yet he did not give more than a glance at her. He bent down and began to write on the ground. A crowd had already gathered. Her accusers lifted their voices and commanded Jesus to pronounce a judgement upon her based on the Law of Moses.

He straightened up and said, “If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

She squeezed her eyes shut. The stones will strike her any moment. She could almost feel them now. I bet the larger stones will be from my pastors. They have been counselling me against the affair. I have failed. I deserve the worst.

*Shuffling of feet*. No stones touched her still. Breaking her fear, she heard a gentle voice asking, “Where are your accusers?”

She opened her eyes. The crowd was still there but their faces had softened. Her accusers were no where to be found.

“No one,” she answered in barely audible tones and still in puzzlement.

"Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and sin no more."

These few words remained etched in her heart eternally - “Neither do I condemn you”. She felt the power in those words.

Power to liberate her from her bondage. Power to remove all condemnation. Power to renew her and restore her whole again. Power of God’s love flowing through her.

Most of all, power to fall in love again. With the new man in her life - Jesus. One who will never leave nor forsake her. One whose words holds true and eternal.

Ask the Samaritan woman by the well. Cross-examine the woman with the issue of blood. Interview Mary Magdelene.

You can also question all the prostitutes, the tax-collectors, the blind, the lame, the lepers, the sick and those who called on His name to save them.

Judgement, condemnation.

They were familiar with these. Often pronounced on them by the Pharisees, religious leaders and the world. And rightly so because they deserved every bit of it.

Grace. Forgiveness.

These they found in Him. They knew they were helpless. Lost and needed a Saviour. And they received much more.

(John 8)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kaffein, I read your writings before, I know you try to be a good testimony to your faith. Just sharing my experience.

I am not a Christian. I have met some Christians who try to be good testimonies and some who are really poor testimonies of their faith.

To be honest (and I'm not proud to say this) those lousy testimonies makes me want to curse them AND their religion, especially those who repeatedly stoop to lies, bullying and prejudices to get on in life. These people claim to be good Christians, wear their faith as a badge of honour (even condemning the Catholics who believe in the same God), claim their religion is the best because it makes them BETTER HUMANS than the non-believers (yes, one actually said that in my face, others indirectly :-O ). Not try to fan any flaming war here but in my personal experience, I find such hypocrisy and/or "Christian superiority-complex" more likely amongst Singapore citizens who are Christians.

To Christians out there: If you want to wear your faith as a batch of honour at work or in your social dealings, please be aware that it's a double-edged sword. Actions speaks louder than words.

To the poor testimonies who wear the faith as a batch of honour: STFU, you're a disgrace to any religion. FYI, being a Christian does not automatically qualify you to heaven, if "camel going through the eye of a needle" rings any bell.

Anonymous said...

Hi Anon 5:34AM,
Glad you managed to read the Christian writings. I'm sorry if you have met Christians who think they are better.

In the past, I do feel Christians are superior because they had the answer to heaven. I too became self-righteous and sometimes accidentally hurt non-Christians, or even Christians of weaker faith.

That's what self-righteousness does. However, I believe I no longer hold that belief (I hope). For me, all have sinned and have fallen short of the glory of God. It doesn't matter if I had stolen 10c or 1 million. In God's eyes, it's still stealing.

And who can say they have never stolen before? Only self-righteous people think they steal less than others. I am equally guilty of theft as the neighbour beside me.

That's why we need a Saviour. Jesus found me while I was still lost and deep in the mire of sin. While I was hopeless, He came to save me. I do not deserve it, but He died for me anyway.

I hope you do not look at man and his efforts in revealing who God is. Man will fail us. That's why I don't look at man - be him Christian or not. Look at Jesus, who is altogether beautiful and He will never let you down. Just one glimpse of Him and He will change your life.

Cheers,
Kaffein